Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Where Am I?


After the German Wings crash,
all the jokes about the pearly gates
and St. Peter's gatekeeping role
make me nauseated,

because I keep seeing all
of those families of teenagers,
eager to reunite
with their exchange students,

now just hoping for a chance
to personally view the debris field
as a flimsy substitute for closure.

I want to rage, with Job, 
railing toward the heavens,
"Why couldn't you keep them aloft?!"
even though I know the answer
will still be the same,
"Where were you when the universe's
underpinnings were formed?"

I used to think this was God's
cop-out; a form of,
"Because I'm the parent,
that's why!" Then I became
a husband, father, friend,
who found himself sitting,
hurting with others in the depths
of their pain and loss,

and I realized that part
of what God is saying is,
 "I was there; I am there;
I will be there;

in the remote mountains 
with the recovery teams,
at the airport where the plane
will never land, and in all of the places
where grief's pall is suffocating.

I will be under that heavy blanket,
making sure there’s breathing room.
Where are you?"


© 2015 Todd Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. Didn't even know about this. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trying to wrap our hearts and minds around this sovereign God and the horrors we see on the evening news or the front porch is nothing short of impossible. Faith & hope nudge us forward in the courageous thought of Him being in it with us. As Wayne Jacobsen said: "The thrust of the incarnation is God saying, "I'm in life with you."

    ReplyDelete