Saturday, June 20, 2015

Raised

“You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up to more than I can be.”
(Josh Groban “You Raise Me Up”)


True ugliness is not 
a judgment of one's appearance. 

That kind of superficial perception 
is simply a subjective opinion 
based on the limits 
of society's acceptable range 
of normalcy and symmetry. 

The real ugly – the one 
that matters – is a hardening 
of the heart that keeps us 
from recognizing our basic connection 
to the rest of the universe.

When love has been drained 
or banished from the soul, 
genuine ugliness is reflected 
in hollow eyes. 

True beauty is also revealed 
through the pupils, as it emanates 
from a love-rich soul's overflow. 

It’s not about size or color, 
but light from within; 
a fire that cannot be 
decorated into existence. 

Love, then, is a freely offered gift 
radiating from within because 
it raises our own worth 
without lowering others'.


© 2015 Todd Jenkins

1 comment:

  1. Very good, Todd!

    "It’s not about size or color,
    but light from within;
    a fire that cannot be
    decorated into existence."

    Wow!

    ReplyDelete