Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sinking

Photo by Joe Stephenson

         The river feels wide;
         Mississippi-wide.
  
      I cannot see the bottom,
      but I know it must
      also be deep.

   As I sit on its bank, I see
   a ship coming downstream.
   Something's wrong.
   The ship is listing.

If I knew the distinction
between starboard and port,
I could tell you
which way it was leaning.

   Whichever way it is,
   it must not be port
   because this vessel isn't going
   to make it to shore.

      There is one person
      visible on deck.
      I strain my eyes
      to identify him.
      It is me.

         Have you ever
         watched yourself sink?

      Helpless, or so it seems,
      the journey you always thought
      you were on is ending,
      not as the brochure described it,
      in some glorious destination,
      but at the bottom of the river
      in the middle of nowhere.

   He -- that is, me --
   is standing there,
   holding firmly to the rail,
   defying gravity as the water level
   rises and consumes him --
   that is, me --
   at a surreal angle.

At first, I panic, knowing full well
that I'm drowning.
Then I realize that the ship
is not my life.

   It's just my dream;
   the plan that's danced
   on and off the stage of my heart
   for the last 28 years.

      Have you ever noticed
      how the word "just"
      often feels like
      a slap in the face?

         A while back, someone told me
         I could breathe underwater.
         I tried not to laugh, because
         I thought she meant it.
         Now, I'm hoping she was serious;
         praying she isn't delusional.

      I look down at my
      on-the-river-bank self.
      My clothes are soaking wet;
      muddy, too.
      Apparently, I can breathe
      underwater. I am.

   I'm going to sit here
   and let the wind dry me.
   I hear another ship
   rounding the bend.

Where do you think
this one's going?


© 2015 Todd Jenkins

2 comments: