Monday, January 18, 2016

Follow

Photo by Lee Lindsey McKinney

"Where is the church?"
I asked, not to a particular person,
but to my heart.

   After listening for
   what seemed like forever,
   I started feeling answers in my marrow.

      "You can find it anywhere;
      sometimes hidden under layers
      of institutional ought, or
      floating free and simple
      in any group that knows
      it's on the way."

      "Wait," I interrupt
      the orthopedic oracle,
      "what do you mean by
      'on the way'?"

   "When people get tired
   of living empty lives –
   tired of filling their existential ache
   with things and rules –  
   they often feel a narrative
   deep in their bones;

a story inviting them not
to moral or conclusion,
but to journey;
not so much to convert the world
as to practice surfing
grace’s tide upon its beaches. 


© 2016 Todd Jenkins

2 comments: