Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Depressbyterians


I don’t mean to exclude any of you who faith from a different place. I just couldn’t resist the word-play. My phone’s autocorrect changed the title to "depress uterine." I don't even know how to respond to that, except to laugh, which is seldom a bad thing, when it’s genuine and about yourself.


The other day, a friend reminded me
that creativity – in writing or otherwise –
doesn’t come from the darkness itself,

but from the power to struggle
against the clouds,
whether that power comes
from within or without.

   That resonates with me,
   like the lowest note
   from an organ pipe,
   vibrating floor, wall, furniture,
   and everyone in the room.

      I suspect we’re all a little more
      acquainted with depression
      than we'd like to be.

         I know that my writing is therapy
         for just such deeps.
         Some of what I write will probably
         never be seen by others.

      Those would be
      the darker pieces that seem
      to blow out life’s brief candle.

But even some of those go out
to you on occasion,
as echoes in the dark;
tappings on the cell wall,

just to let you know that,
even though I've yet
to find a candle to light,
at least we're not alone.

   We have each other and,
   I am certain at the deepest level –
   even if not always on the surface –
   the sacred is also always here,
   even when all tapping fades,
   and all we sense is the beating
   of our own hearts.

      You are here. I am here.
      The holy one is here.
      Gathered or not,
      the three of us form

         our own trinity,
         our own incarnation,
         out of which life, light, and
         grace will surely take root.

“And now faith, hope, 
and love abide, these three; 
and the greatest of these is love.” 
(1 Corinthians 13:13)

© 2016 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment