Thursday, September 10, 2015

Flag


When I grow up, I want
   to be a flag, so people
      will pay more attention to me
         than to issues of real life.

      Don't you think that will make
   me feel special, if not powerful?

I'll touch people's deepest emotions,
   inciting more reaction and less action.  

      I'll wave and wave in every wind,
         without regard for either
      the direction of its flow
   or the damage it unleashes.

I'll be the distraction by which
   magicians and politicians alike
      perpetrate their illusions,
         as all attention centers
      on my colors, design, and
   position on the pole.

See me waving?
   See them bowing? 
      See others hating?

         I'm large and in charge,
      and nobody seems to realize it.
   Genuflect, and carry on.


© 2015 Todd Jenkins

2 comments: