Sunday, August 2, 2015

Story Painting

If I only want to hear your story told in a hurry,
applied with a short-nap 9-inch roller, 
carelessly dipped in cheap, watery paint,
while you're on your tiptoes,
with a fully stretched extension handle;

but won't let my own be heard unless
we have time to build a scaffold
and belay ourselves, leisurely narrating
the circumstances of my saga with a tiny,
fine-tipped brush, carefully scripting
the details and circumstances,

until you understand the rich complexity
of my existence and choices,
how deeply do you think
the two of us will connect?

The assumptions that life holds a significant
distinction between I and thou,
and that all thous are the same,
create simultaneous self-absorption
and terminal dissatisfaction.

Misery doesn't always love company.
It  can just as easily busy itself, solo,
worshiping the mirror's reflection.

© 2015 Todd Jenkins


1 comment:

  1. love. rich images. and so true. a good reminder to ponder.

    ReplyDelete