Friday, March 22, 2013

Minuscular


(In honor of World Water Day 2013)

I’m with the minuscule who hold the majority;
among the few of earth’s inhabitants
who control most of its resources.

I seldom ask why,
or if I’m supposed to have them,
or do something in particular with them.

I just mostly take them for granted,
plowing through them like a mule in a briar patch,
smiling while they cut me to pieces.

But sometimes they ask me;
just blurt it right out
in front of God and everyone:

“Have you any idea of the arrogance of thinking
your material abundance is significant
in the grand scheme of things?”

It makes me wonder how few earthly inhabitants
are concerned that their extra automobile
is getting long in the tooth;

gives me consideration for what percentage of people
on this blue dot look past a bulging cupboard
in search of something “good” to eat;

causes me to contemplate the absurdity
of bathing in and flushing countless gallons
that would give new life to millions who die daily;

brings home the truth that we’re all
impoverished by emptiness and brokenness
that come in forms more than material;

gives me pause to realize that grace
does not come from a catalog or a store shelf,
but overflows from a heart of gratitude.

I am indeed among the minuscule,
but we are far from alone;
because the universe is one.

© 2013 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment