Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Tumble


Early one morning,
as I poured my coffee,
I glanced out the kitchen window
at the oak tree by the shop
to see a crispy brown leaf
spring from its limb,

   gracefully tumbling down
   the shingled roof, surely executing
   masterful gymnastics moves,
   twisting, turning in mid-air
   with perfect lift, finally dismounting,

      sticking the landing
      in the tall grass
      that awaits a final trim.

   The other leaves on the ground
   spontaneously started a wave. 
   Those still in the trees lithely clapped
   their affirmation, patiently waiting
   on the next brave soul to let go.

Thus the wind directs a hopeful show;
each participant scored
on the scale of grace.

   Who am I that I am afraid
   of the Spirit's call to be blown
   into the dance that is
   the extraordinary routine
   of my life?

© 2015 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment