Sunday, November 8, 2015

Remembered

Photo by Lee Lindsey McKinney
 In its snatching,
death believes it has
committed the ultimate theft;

believes the ache
of flesh-and-blood absence
is sufficient to tear
our faith asunder.

There are days when we would
halfheartedly agree,
because half a heart
is all we seem to have left.

Then it happens; someone else
remembers a time gone by
when the one we love spoke or
acted with grace beyond measure.

The memory is recounted to us,
and in its retelling,
a flickering candle
lights the darkness;

not totally and not for good,
but enough for us
to also remember
the love that has and
still does always surround us.

And in the moment
of that shared memory,
we know we are not alone;

we know love cannot be
taken away from us;
we understand hope
as a star refusing
to give-in to night,
no matter how cold
and dark it seems.

Today is the best day
to share that story.
Go ahead.
The stars are already
rising in the twilight.


© 2015 Todd Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. Sunday is the memorial service for my friend who passed recently. The woman who dated my dad what seems like three lifetimes ago (at least.) My dad will speak. It's what she wanted. He thought I would, too. This is a woman with which there is much history, and I'm not sure I could get through. Between her and I; her and my dad; my dad and I...it's just too much, um, emotional texture, as my dad so eloquently out it to me the other day. But this, Todd... I may have to print and read. Do I have your permission?

    ReplyDelete