Thursday, December 11, 2014

Rebel Tears

These rebel tears you've cried,
I say, tell me of the depths
from which they flow.

Tell me of the salt they left
upon your cheeks of rose.

Tell me of the stories
that flashed across
your heart's big screen;

and how you, at once wished
to do them all over again,
yet knew that this would rewrite
too much of who you are.

Tell me how you simply came
to know that grace applied
from wells deeper than your own

would change your world
in far more valuable ways
than a lifetime full
of re-attempts at perfection.

Tell me this and more.
I've heard it whispered
from places deeper than
I knew I had, but long
to hear its joyous regale

from the cracks and creeks
of other hearts, because
I know its gift is far
too great a pearl to hide.
 
Decatur, GA 1966

© 2014 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment