Monday, September 29, 2014

Redeemed

Redemption is in the transformation
that occurs in the hearts, minds, and lives
of those who are connected to brokenness –
all who dare not cast the first stone.

Remorse, like resurrection, is not the end,
but the possibility for a new beginning;
not a beginning that jettisons who we were
and what we did, but a beginning

that puts all of that and all of us
on a different road; a road that is not
just the will or refusal to do it all again
if we had the chance, but a road

that takes all of us – our experiences
and choices – to a place where they can be
constructed into a place of hope
we can call home again, for the first time.
 
Lovers Lane
© 2014 Todd Jenkins


5 comments:

  1. You are not old enough to remember S and H green stamps! This is a wonderful poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember too. And Todd, this is so good that I am using it as "an assurance of forgiveness" in worship on Sunday with attribution, of course. Wonderful.
      I am curious: do you have a favorite poet, living or dead, that you enjoy reading?

      Delete
    2. I've not read much poetry, but Wendell Berry and Mary Oliver are two of my favorites.

      Delete
  2. :) Thank you for responding. I haven't read much Wendell Berry, but I've read some of Mary Oliver. I am rediscovering poetry after a long hiatus. We did use your poem as the Words of Assurance yesterday in worship and they were well received. I have been gradually introducing more poetry from multiple folks into worship as a creative endeavor...Your poetry is accessible which is why I personally enjoy it...and lends itself well to reflection, personal and communal. Blessings on your week and thanks again..

    ReplyDelete