Friday, August 22, 2014

Why?

When my options are mine,
not just because of my choices
or my hard work, but also because
of the circumstances of my birth –

the nationality on my passport,
the religion of my ancestors,
and the color of my skin –  

and my options aren't yours
for the very same reasons,
how are we to live in this world?

Justice, when he is disentangled
from retribution and violence,
isn't so much about prying privilege
from one hand and placing it in another,

as he is about restoring
creation's balance of need;
about smoothing the universe's supply
of dignity, respect, and opportunity.

If we hope to move beyond
legislated and litigated varieties,
which must be continually replanted,
Justice's sister, Peace,
must be made to feel at home.

Her neighborhood is the place
where stories are shared,
where ears are tilted to understand
and not cocked to respond.

She unpacks Privilege's truth,
inviting us to not only see
our economy of distribution
in all its naked disparity,

but also to choose a life
grounded in a commitment
to be open to and opened by
the question "Why?";

to recognize that it not only
doesn't have to be this way,
we also aren't meant to stay this way.
Photo by Todd Jenkins
 © 2014 Todd Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. A blessing to me, Todd. Living in such sadness. John Foley, the father of James Foley who died this week was a colleague on the bio-ethics committee of our local hospital. First the incarceration in Libya and now Syria and what happened to him is unimaginable but peace and justice and their kiss is what I long for so deeply -- not more death, not more killing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where are the words? There are none; just hope. Hope and love.

      Delete