Saturday, June 21, 2014

Deeps

A flat-bottom boat
on a glassy sea;
yes, that's the life
I so long to see.

Skimming across
both the deep and shallow,
leaving my faith
to rest in the fallow.

What's this you say?
There's a storm in the air?
How could you abandon me?!
How could you not care?!

As the waves overcome,
tossing life to and fro,
my questions pile up;
so much I don't know!

The boat I was on
isn't shaped like I dreamed;
its hull Vs into the water
much deeper than it seemed.

Where once I sought answers
to questions I could bear,
now I'm thrown overboard,
life torn, open and bare.

In over my head,
too far from the shore,
not sure I can handle
one gut-kick more.

Holding my breath
beyond human tears,
daring not to exhale,
overcome by my fears.

Like Job, I won't settle
for clichéd replies.
Keep your sacharined Jesus;
I've shredded those lies.

I need a companion
who'll sit on the floor,
cry with me a while,
then cry with me some more.

We'll shout toward the heavens,
let loose our hot rage;
then rest in the bosom
of the One without age.

And when this rock sinks
to the floor of the sea,
we'll breathe underwater,
we'll sing joyfully;

not because we have answers,
not because we've no pain,
but because we've found breath
in God's presence again.
 
Photo by Holly Jenkins
© 2014 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment