Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sumptuous

I’m sure I never looked finer today,
rolling into church in my purple shirt,
fresh off a Saturday evening
of sumptuous grilled chicken, rich onion pie,
and flavorful bacon ranch potato salad,
along with the beverage of my choice.

And then I had to listen to Jesus
get all-up-in the Pharisees’ face
about a rich guy, whose name we’ll never know,
and an oozing-scabbed beggar
at his gate whose name means “God is with me.”

“It’s a good thing I’m not rich!”
I thought, as I measured myself
against Forbes’ list.

That’s when I noticed God’s gaze.
It was a lot broader, and maybe
even deeper, than mine.

I was looking at Gates and God
was looking at Guatemala and Ghana.
I was seeing Buffet and God
was seeing Belize and Botswana.

I was imaging the Kochs and God
could clearly see Kenya and Kandahar.
I was looking up at the “Haves” and God
was looking over at Honduras and Haiti.

Lazarus: “We are not alone.”
So when we feel estranged,
isolated, gated, and afraid,
perhaps it is a loss of central vision –

a failure to recognize our raison d'être –
and a focus on the peripheral.
Perhaps it is time to get back
to the heart of the matter;
back to the table where all are welcome.



© 2013 Todd Jenkins

3 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Them's fighting words ... tell me this wasn't in your sermon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was written after the sermon, but the content was the same.

    ReplyDelete