Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Born on Third

(Living the American Dream)

I must have hit a triple,
'cause here I am on third.
Of course I wasn't born here;
that whole idea's absurd!

Daddy is the umpire,
mama cooks the books;
but isn't that the way
everybody's life looks?

It's true what they say,
"It's lonely at the top."
When all your views are down,
it's really hard to stop.

I've got more stuff than friends;
that doesn't really matter.
It's hard to let your guard down
when your wallet's getting fatter.

One day I'm going to slow down
and be that kind of guy
people want to hang with;
for now I'm kind of shy.

I worry what they're thinking
about the things I say,
and whether they will judge me
or try to take my pay.

It's hard to feel normal
when you're such a special guy.
I do my best to fake it;
I'm usually pretty sly.

Tried ordinary once
but then I got burned.
No one would acknowledge
the luxuries I'd earned.

It's nice here on third;
I'm such a go-getter.
When I steal home,
it'll be even better!


© 2013 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment