Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Maladjusted



The MLK quote on my office wall that motivates me every day: "Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted."

It doesn't take creativity to respond in violence. In fact, violence sucks the creativity and imagination out of both the people who bear it and the people who perpetrate it.

Maladjusted people are the ones who are perfectly willing to obey the rules and laws that are right(eous). They are NOT willing to stand by and let injustice continue, especially when it is institutional. This is where creativity and perseverance give us the tools and passion to effect change; not always head-on, but sometimes chipping away at the rock a little each day, using the power of words, deeds, and relationships enveloped in grace.

It is my hope and prayer that, at least on my better days, I will find myself among these creatively maladjusted transformers.

© 2013 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment