Monday, January 28, 2013

Being Prayed


Recently, something that has been
going on for years in my life -
maybe always - has been
brought to my attention.

Thank God, the ones who brought it
have no desire to say,
"Hello! Is anyone home?"
because I didn't notice for so long.
They let me do that to myself,
then offer me a bite of mercy and a sip of forgiveness,
so I might be alert to other gifts.

Anyway, back to this new revelation.
I have always envisioned myself
writing poems and prayers,
or at least praying them.
As it turns out, I do neither.
They pray me.

Not in the sense that
what is heard and felt is me,
but in the way that
who I was and am become
transformed by prayers and poems
like a shirt that has been
washed, dried, ironed, and
lovingly hung in the closet
in anticipation of usefulness and
integration into someone's day and life.

Have you ever been prayed?

© 2013 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment