Monday, July 2, 2012

My Patriotism


My patriotism flows from the deep places where God’s questions continue to challenge the actions and choices of all nations, including ours; because even our own great nation is not free from greed, deception, and selfishness.  I know this because I have seen the same demons rise from the depths of my own being.  It is a patriotism that forces me to look beyond campaign slogans and promises to ask if the “widow, the orphan, and the sojourner” are being cared for, and if justice and mercy are becoming the inseparable partners in God’s intended shalom; a patriotism that will not allow me to shirk the same questions with regard to my own life’s practice.

My patriotism is not of the flag-waving variety, and yet the sight of a color guard in parade dress brings tears to my eyes.  I am constantly reminded of the price that has been paid by former generations of soldiers, and the cost to the current generation and its families.  It demands that I be able to distinguish between supporting soldiers and condoning war.  The former is a duty that must not be abandoned, no matter how I feel about the latter.  My prayers for soldiers do not neutralize my prayers for peace or vice versa.  My patriotism cannot count human life as acceptable collateral damage.  It grieves for every human life that is ground into the grave by the cogs of war’s machinery.

My patriotism believes that true freedom will exist only when questions can be asked without fear, and the conversation is open to all, regardless of their opinions.  It holds that truth is best discerned when all the laundry is on the line, and all the players are invited to the table.  It knows that there is a fine line between maintaining national security and protecting vested interest, and those public officials who walk this tightrope are in need of our prayers, as well as our calls for accountability.

My patriotism, like the faith from which it grows, will not accept the words individual or private as modifiers.  It is a communal creature which values the thoughts, prayers, and conversation of others.  This is my patriotism.  I would love to hear about yours.

© 2012 Todd Jenkins

No comments:

Post a Comment