Monday, April 11, 2016

Poetic Subtraction

Photo by Ashley Goad

She objected, "I don't know how
to sit down and create poetry."

   I replied, “Neither do I.
   I'm not even sure that's possible.”

      Poetry is all around us,
      all the time. It's the proverbial
      sculpture hidden within the stone.

   Finding our inner poet
   is about learning to chip-away
   at the things in our lives obscuring her.

First, there's what I call noise;
the other voices that tell you
you're already too far behind
in all the things you need
to accomplish and do
to even consider investing time,
space, and energy into something
as unpredictable, unreliable, and
maybe even unproductive as poetry.

   But maybe you also need
   to hear the whisper that asks you
   to consider whether
   you might be even further behind
   in what you were created to BE.

© 2016 Todd Jenkins

1 comment: