Monday, February 29, 2016

Church

Church of the Spilled Blood
Saint Petersburg, Russia
Photo by Ashley Goad

I cannot and will not
be church unless I
first see church.

   No one will know church
   until we learn how
   to show church.

      We cannot have church
      as noun until we have
      been church as verb.

         Church is not an act
         of gathering, but
         an impetus for sending.

It's not a people,

much less a steeple,
but a living,
breathing manifestation
of Christ in action. 

 © 2016 Todd Jenkins

2 comments:

  1. Man, this is timely and so convoluted for my heart. In sharing with a friend over the weekend, some of the trouble of my heart from last week, about someone asking me if I "talk to her about it," meaning talk to someone about Christ, salvation, etc. And my answer of "no," which has really, really been bothering me - should I be talking about it? Is my not talking about it the reason this particular someone hasn't "made a profession of faith"? Legalism makes us the center, doesn't it? My gracious! Anyway...I told my friend, "I don't want to talk about it, no. I want my life to interpret it." Hmmm...a manifestation rather than a sermon. Because you can have a sermon without the manifestation, and that...that is the burr under my saddle. Lord have mercy. Thanks for this, T!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete