Monday, December 16, 2013

Gabriel’s ‘Nunciation Blues

Angel Gabriel, he done told me
I’m birthin’ God’s own son.
He’s got to be mistaken.
How can I be the one?!

My baby won’t have no daddy
to walk the face of this earth.
I’m just another teenage girl
who ain’t got no worth.

I got the blu-u-u-u-u-ues.
I got Gabriel’s ‘nunciation blues!

Cousin Lizzy came out to greet me;
her baby jumpin’ all ‘round.
Don’t know why I came to see her,
I just had to leave that town.


My head is spinnin’ so fast;
don’t know what I’m gonna do.
Never had an angel visit;
tell me child have you?

I got the blu-u-u-u-u-ues.
I got Gabriel’s ‘nunciation blues!

Until your angel visits
you just don’t know what it’s like.
‘Fraid to tell my boyfriend,
‘cause he’ll tell me to take a hike!

Lizzy said God blessed me;
blessed the fruit of my womb.
But when I tell my Joseph,
he’ll send me to my tomb!

I got the blu-u-u-u-u-ues.
I got Gabriel’s ‘nunciation blues!

What kind of God is this,
who flips the world around?
Liftin’ up the lowly,
an’ bringin’ the mighty down?

The hole that was within me
seems to have been filled.
The craziness inside me
has finally been stilled.

Maybe it’s not the blu-u-u-u-u-ues;
just what it’s like to let God choose!

God has made a promise
to fill the hungry soul;
to gather in the scattered,
an’ make God’s people whole.

The mercy that I’m feelin’
is holdin’ me up firm,
to carry God’s own baby
an’ bring him to full term.

It’s not the blu-u-u-u-u-ues.
just what it’s like to let God choose!

Photo by Todd Jenkins


© 2005 Todd Jenkins

1 comment:

  1. luv the musicality in this poem, definitely one for voice; have a nice Tuesday

    much love...

    ReplyDelete